Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"My feet not cold daddy!"

Nineteen degrees on the TCF bank sign - not too cold for a Minnesota daycare dropoff. I considered zero degrees F. the limit for biking Theo the 1 mile to his daycare. If it were that cold, we would call a taxi or get a ride with another daycare family. We have done this many times this cold winter. But having observed how the little Theo furnace heats up the Burley trailer, we tried a -4 degree morning the other week. Wind pants, insulated booties, and face mask for me. Blanket, boots, scarf, and balaclava for Theo. We biked the 5-10 minutes. I opened the trailer flap to the gleeful announcement, "my feet not cold daddy!" A furnace he is. One day I will measure the temperature differential inside and outside the trailer.

But today it was a balmy 19 degrees. We were treated to a 1/2 inch of snow on the ground and flakes were still falling. Ephemera. By day's end the snow was mostly gone, but we were lucky enough to roll through the crisp, snowy air. Amidst the rush to work, the snow slowed me down as I enjoyed it by bike.

1 comment:

  1. Hillary loves the post but can't help debating the use of the word ephemera with Andy, who does not appreciate the editing. As he (rightly) points out, over editing causes writer's block. And a blog is emphemera anyway, so who cares.

    ReplyDelete