Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"Look out for that Snowbank!"

We got our first major snowstorm this week. It being my day for daycare drop-off, I decided to try the Roo in the 6+ inches of snow. Within fifty feet of the garage I saw a clearly impassable snow drift in the alley. I decided to pedal harder and attempt to plow through..."thwump" went the Roo as it stuttered to a stop. I knew then this was going to be a hard 1 mile slog to Theo's daycare. But we turned around, passing the garage and the opportunity to let reason prevail. How could I stop this adventure with a 3 year old giggling and hooting the whole way down the alley as we bounced over small snowbanks and large bumps? We pressed on, hoping our reindeer fill-in, Moxie, would give us some extra pull. Not. Within 2 blocks of Theo's daycare, we ditched the Roo and walked the last bit.

It was a one-hour adventure for a normally 20+ minute trip. But I wouldn't trade the stories that Theo is still telling for anything. I would however get a studded tire for the rear wheel to give the Roo a little more bite through the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    This past weekend Lydia introduced me to your blog. And of all your posts I think this one is my favorite! No doubt because of my Midwestern roots (Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin) and my great love of snow! Keep riding and keep sending the joy through your words and photos. Your boys will treasure the Phrius Chronicle all their lives. All the best to Hillary!!!
    Thanks,
    Karin Hillhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin,
    Thanks so much for checking out my blog and highlighting your favorite post! Yes, we harken back to that snowy winter often. We really appreciate the reader support to keep us going in the Riding Phrius lifestyle.
    We are having a great time with Lydia right now as she visits over the holidays.
    Cheers,
    Andy
    P.S. Apologies for the delayed response. Keep checking out the latest Riding Phrius posts!

    ReplyDelete