Friday, April 23, 2010

Ride Magic - My River Commute in 3 minutes of Video

There are some bike rides that you live for. There is one I live for every week, especially when it is a gorgeous Friday afternoon after a long week at work. After a week of riding (or busing) the direct 8.5 mile route from my home to work near downtown St. Paul, I crave the 15 mile route back home along the Mississippi River. It is the perfect way to decompress after a work week and bring in the weekend. Two weeks ago I shot some video and added Tom Paxton's "Ride my Bike" as the sound track. I hope you enjoy it!

The first 12 miles of my river route in video:

My river ride in words:
From the rush of cruising through downtown St. Paul and its mini-rush hour,
To the beginning of quiet as I pass through Harriet Island,
I pass under St. Paul's High Bridge,
Through the Mississippi River floodplain forest.
River sediment, once deep, now laces the trail,
Leading to a surprise - residual floodwater.
I wind through the cottonwoods of Lilydale and,
Gently climb back in time as I ascend the side of the river gorge.
I tunnel to emerge at the cacophony of Mendota Bridge traffic,
Passing over the center of the earth and under the center of the heavens,
And pausing for deer at Fort Snelling, I make a quick descent.
Whoa, the bloodroot is blooming, and Dutchman's breeches too,
Lingering for Minnehaha Falls Park scenes,
I wish I could have stopped for a beer and dinner at Sea Salt.
Thanks to my bike, the "Italian Stallion".




















A view down the Mississippi River with downtown St. Paul in the background. This is very near the Mississippi's confluence with the Minnesota River. I take this photo about a dozen times each year in an attempt to capture the changing seasons along the River. This one is from last October.

2 comments:

  1. Andy,
    Very cool to see that ride, and I can so much imagine how liberating it is on a Friday to put the workweek behind you by pedaling your way home like this!! Loved the tune, too!

    Thanks for sharing! (P.S. can you actually bike down to the confluence of MN and MS rivers? GML4 and I were just saying we should do it sometime)

    Janet Linkert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    Thanks for reading and viewing this post and making a comment! Liberating it is. I wish I could bring more co-workers and friends along with me to have them share in it.

    I don't actually know if you can bike down to the meeting of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers. We should look into it! Happy spring biking!

    ReplyDelete