Friday, January 13, 2012

Racing the light, on a dusting of snow, lonely falls

January 13th: I was able to take my long Mississippi River route home yet again.  This is definitely the latest into the winter I have been able to do this route.  What a crazy snow-lite, warm winter we are having in Minnesota.  But it has been a boon for bike commuters. 

I left my work bike locker at sunset, 4:55 pm,  and raced the dwindling light home.  It was 13 degrees F. and my hands got cold within 10 minutes.  My legs and bike felt really sluggish.  So sluggish that I checked to see if my brake pads were dragging.  Nope, must be me.  I braced myself for a long, arduous 13 mile ride.  But within a few more minutes I was in the groove.


This afternoon's dusting of snow was whisked away from the roads by the cars, but it was beautifully present on the bike trail.  For the first time ever I arrived at Minnehaha Falls with nobody around.  Quiet, beautiful.  I started in clouds in St. Paul.  They had parted by the time I got home in Minneapolis.  It was a wonderful dusk commute home. 


1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! We just got our first real snow yesterday here in Toronto. I keep riding as long as the the streets are clear - my tires aren't as snow-ready as yours look!

    ReplyDelete