Friday, June 25, 2010

"We're still in the garage"

Coordinating Friday afternoons with a family of four can be rather hard, especially when a thunderstorm intervenes in our best made plans.

I thought I might make it home dry skirting between the storm clouds.  But the sky opened up just before I reached our favorite summer restaurant, Sea Salt. I ducked under their roof alongside the mostly dry wedding party, the soaked teenagers, and the many others waiting for their prawns and Po' boys. With nothing better to do while waiting out the rain, I got a beer and chatted with some friends celebrating their 6th wedding anniversary. (I have been waiting for an excuse to stop here for a beer for years).  Faithfully, I texted my coordinates.

Andy: "Sea Salt refuge"
Hillary: "Reading books in the garage"

5 minutes later the truth comes out when Hillary calls.

H: "We're locked out.  I left my keys in the house in the quick hand-off of Henry from the babysitter to me. When are you going to get here? Are you having a beer?"
A: "Yes. I"ll be home in 20 minutes. I'm leaving now." [half a beer left]

25 minutes later I call.

A: "Almost home."
H: "We're still in the garage."

I bike up the alley and spy Henry toddling out from the open door of our garage then head back in. I creep up with the camera and find Hillary and the two boys still reading books. Good thing Hil had been to a book sale recently! We all made it inside before the worst of the storm hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment